Service Advisory 2011-03: Phoenx Ice HV, Mamba XL, Hydra Ice HV
August 20, 2011
Advisory applies only to: Phoenix Ice HV, Mamba XL, and Hydra Ice HV
The performance of a component used in the Castle Phoenix Ice HV 60, Ice HV 80, Ice HV 120, Ice HV 160, Ice HV 160 Lite, Mamba XL and Hydra Ice HV 200 controllers has changed from the original specifications for that part. This tolerance change may lead to failure of the affected controllers.
For your safety, we request that all customers cease operation of these controllers immediately. Send all of these controllers back to Castle for modifications required to improve the safety and reliability of these products. This recall also includes all controllers labeled as V3. There are no charges associated with this modification.
The only controllers that are properly modified and are approved for operation will be labeled clearly as Ice 2 HV (Amp Rating), Mamba XL 2 and Hydra Ice 2 HV (see image to the right for examples).
We understand that you may not wish to return your controller. Those that have served you well are likely to continue doing so; however, controllers that you may have recently purchased should be assumed to be assembled with the problem components.
If you insist on using these controllers, please be advised that the risks of continued usage begin with severe burns to you and/or others, as well as property damage to your RC vehicle or surroundings. Please wear fire-proof gloves when connecting any HV controllers that use 8 or 10 gauge wire to their power source.
To send your ESC in for repair, click here and follow these steps.
- Enter your information.
- Print your order confirmation.
- Ship to Castle via a traceable delivery service:
Please return controllers to Castle in Kansas via a traceable delivery service:
Castle Creations, Inc.
ICE HV/MAMBA XL/HYDRA ICE SERVICE / Service Department
540 N. Rogers Rd.
Olathe, KS 66062
Please be sure to include a copy of the return confirmation generated by the web site in your package.
We sincerely appreciate your patience in this matter. As hobbyists ourselves, we understand your disappointment at not being able to use your controller during this period.
1. It may not be possible to economically repair some controllers. Those controllers will be replaced by refurbished controllers that were made from unsold controllers that have been recalled from the sales channels.
2. We will replace the control board in as many returned units as possible. We will make sure that you receive your exact controller. This will likely cause the process to take a bit longer, but it will ensure that you are comfortable with the prior use of the controller that you receive from us.
3. As we cannot state in advance the criteria for reparability vs. replacement, please remove all connectors from your controllers before sending them in to us.
4. Due to the manner in which most of the Ice HV controllers and their heat sinks are assembled, we do not recommend that users ask to install the replacement board themselves.
5. We cannot give you an exact estimate of the time required to return your controllers. We will keep you updated as to the status of our repairs via email. We understand that you may be frustrated by this experience, and we will be happy to talk with you individually, but our Tech Support staff do not have any more information to offer you beyond the statements made in this announcement.
Service Advisory Updates:
8/23/11: Shipments begin on replacement Ice HV controllers
9/13/11: Castle Europe is shipped initial quantities of replacement ICE HV controllers